Transcript and Dot Notation

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 19:28:18 EST 2006

Andre......

While you're not exactly wrong here, you do miss the central
point/issue. To use your example, if I'm designing a traffic system
with lots of TrafficLight objects, I need a way to create individual
instances of that object, give them identifiers, and send messages
either to the individual instances or to the class. Doing this without
some sort of notation that makes the relationships between objects
(receivers) and methods (messages sent to those receivers) is
cumbersome at best.

I don't think your suggested notation is necessarily bad and in fact
it won't surprise me if that syntax is acceptable in an OO Transcript,
*once the object instance has been created and identified*.

The other big advantage of dot notation is that it can be held as an
alternative that nobody is required to use if they don't want to use
OO in their apps. Nothing forces it. But, having said that, I'm not
sure it is possible to create a hybrid development environment in
which OO dot notation and textual freestyle exist side by side without
introducing tremendous inefficiency into the byte-code interpreter or
other mechanism for executing the application. And that is ultimately
Mark W's biggest challenge, I suspect.