OT: Internet Rich Applications Patent Granted

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 17:54:48 EST 2006

Swami......

Not legal advice but informed business counsel from someone with a
background in intellectual property law. Take it for what you pay for
it.

Software patents are a huge pit. For many years, the USPTO has had a
shortage of people qualified to review such applications. As a result,
it has adopted an informal policy of granting any software patent that
isn't on its face just stupid. (Which doesn't really explain this one,
but there you have it.) Then if someone complailns, let the courts
sort it out.

Not having read the patent, I will say that if I had a company doing
this kind of work (and I do), I'd pause long enough to choke on the
idiocy of the patent being granted and get back to work. If and when
this patent gets prosecuted, it won't be against a small company.
Outfits that patent these kinds of things go after huge fish first and
hope everyone else falls into line thereafter. I doubt any big fish is
going to go for this one.

FWIW and all the usual disclaimers about my advice not being worth
spit incorporated herein by reference.