On the Democratic Operation of Bugzilla

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 14:47:54 EST 2006

Garrett.....

I've spent the better part of my adult life in the software biz and I
think your reaction here was really, really extreme. You said:

"You don't release
products if you know it still contains bugs!  You don't upgrade your
product unless the upgrade fixes all the prior bugs."

I don't know if I've *ever* released a piece of bug-free software. In
fact, there is some theoretical support for the argument that there's
no such thing as bug-free software, only software whose bugs have not
yet been discovered by a user. A product as complex as Revolution is
bound to have bugs forever. The issue is whether there are bugs that:
(a) prevent the product from being usable for which (b) there are no
workarounds.

I am willing to pay for upgrades and updates as long as great progress
is made toward fixing the blocker bugs at the same time. Otherwise,
the economic incentive to fix bugs goes away.

And just FWIW, I don't think Rev's pricing is outrageous at all. Given
what it allows me to accomplish, Rev is if anything underpriced. But
don't tell them that, OK?