Showing linkText on mouse over

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Feb 24 12:04:42 EST 2006

I have an application with a field that can have link style text in
it. I wanted the contents of the linkText of link-style text to show
up in a field when you mouse over it, just like in a web browser when
you mouse over a hot link. So I wrote this handler in the field.

on mouseWithin
   if the textStyle of the mouseText contains "link" then
     put the linkText of the mouseText into fld "status"
   else
     put empty into fld "status"
   end if
end mouseWithin

It works great, but it intermittently blocks the linkClicked handler
in the same field from executing. I assume it's because the
mouseWithin message is sent continuously and it's occasionally
blocking the mouse clicks. Can anyone suggest a more reliable way to
make these functionalities play nicely together?

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University