On the Democratic Operation of Bugzilla

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Feb 23 20:02:03 EST 2006

Dan, et al:

> If I create a new bug entry in Bugzilla, it would not even occur to me
> to vote for it. By posting it and giving it a rating, I think I *am*
> voting on it.

I find posting and voting have totally different purposes.

Example:  The last item I posted to BZ had to do with rectangle
graphics not being rendered correctly on Win XP when their width was an
odd number.  I had already changed my rectangle graphics to even pixel
widths, and could care less if the bug is ever fixed.  My post was to
alert the Run Rev Team and other developers that it exists.

So posting simply says "I found what I believe is a bug".

Rating says "This is my estimate of the severity of the bug"

Voting says "This is my relative (among outstanding bugs) priority for
fixing the bug."

I can see your point that assigning a rating while posting implies a
priority; but I'm not sure how that rating can be used to derive a
relative priority among all outstanding items.

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company