File sharing, locking, etc... between multiple users...

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 11:00:52 EST 2006

You might want to establish priorities for users along the lines of
Admin
Accounting
Supervisor
TrustedUser
Trainee

This will allow flag conflicts to be resolved during event loops, eg
overrides, interruptions, blocking of actions, protecting the server, etc)

I have gravitated to the format for a text file (all text files) that line 1
is reserved as a 'command line'.  This means that it not part of the data,
but a keyword+date+time.  Any program or module that reads this file will
either ignore line 1 or use it.  In Rev and XL, this keyword will be the
function call to use to handle this data.  In the office system I did a few
years ago, it contained 4 things for "what needs to be done, priority, who
wrote this, when".  Some files also contained "when to be done" since these
were maintenance files processed overnight for backup and summaries.

The idea is that some programs would read all text files looking for
keywords that would trigger their actions, thus moving and purging the daily
work files.  I would have a log written and emailed to me each day so I
could monitor the health of the system.

Part of this was Applescript driven.  In fact, the main event loop was a
script that ran continuously looking for incoming email, attachments, and
text files.

Hope this helps.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas