File sharing, locking, etc... between multiple users...

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Wed Feb 22 10:57:23 EST 2006

David, Jonathan, et al:

>  this is for low volume stuff but it is "perfectly" effective in
> preventing conflicts arising from race conditions while the random
> components avoid continuous synchronised failure.

FWIW, I have seen this (as FlexWare does it) running on multi-user
super-micro computers supporting up to 15 workstations, and networks of
30 or more PCs.  [I've also seen client/server networks of equal size
and activity level perform noticeably faster.]

Still, when I was running the super-micro for Omega Performance Corp.
(1984-86), a consultant who was a close friend of the Chairman of the
Board contended that  all input editing should be done off-line because
no hardware/db combination on the market < $100K had the throughput to
support online input checks at data entry.  Once we descried what we
were achieving with a $30K Stride/Flexware system, he was out the door
and didn't come back.

Granted, 15-30 workstation systems might be considered "low volume"
systems compared to airline reservation, banking, and major corporate
accounting systems; but how many Revolutionists are targeting those
markets?

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company