URL link -- newbie time

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 21 17:05:40 EST 2006

--- Timothy Miller <gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com>
wrote:
> Oh dear, this isn't supposed to be difficult. Maybe
> I'll get used to
> the new documentation format. So far, it seems to
> have evolved from
> "terse" to "overwhelming."
>
> All I want to do is put a clickable link in a field
> that will open a
> web browser and navigate to the URL specified in the
> link.
>
> I.e., I might like to enter a link like
> http://www.nigerianmillions.com in a field. There
> might be text in
> the field, before and after the link. If I click on
> the link, I want
> my web browser to open and go to that web page.
>
> I can't quite figure out how. It will be obvious
> *after* someone
> tells me. It never seems obvious *before* someone
> tells me.
>
> I have several web browsers installed on my machine.
> Can I specify a
> browser with the link? Like, "Use any browser that
> happens to be
> open." or "If no browser is open, use Safari"?
> Otherwise, just "Use
> Safari; launch it first if necessary"?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Tim

Hi Tim,

Maybe this recipe will get you started:

- make a new field "Test"

- type some text in it, including the URL ; say:

Excellent: http://www.runrev.com made this possible!

- then use the message box and type this:

set the linkText of word 2 of field "Test" to
"http://www.runrev.com"
set the textStyle of word 2 of field "Test" to "link"

- then set the script of the field to:

##
on linkClicked pLinkText
  revGoURL pLinkText
end linkClicked
##

Now you'll have a field with a clickable link, and it
opens the default browser to the specified URL.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>