Switch versus if/then/else ( was: Main menu puzzle, Klaus)

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Mon Feb 20 11:13:01 EST 2006

Judy, et al:

> If-Thens are readily comprehensible by non/novice-programmers.

And by extension, switch statements are not. [?]

When I gave you this point in an earlier post, I was really conceding
that the syntax of a switch statement does not flow in the same
English-like fashion of "ifs" in xTalk.

Maybe I've been at it too long to see the forest for the trees; but I
truly don't see what is so hard to comprehend about the switch concept.
  One identifies  a switch value and specifies different logic paths to
follow depending on the value of the switch.

	on menuPick thePick
		switch thePick
			case "Cut"
				break
			case "Copy"
				break
			case "Paste"
				break
			[etc.]
			default
				answer warning quote&thePick&quote&&"is not supported!"
		end switch
	end menuPick

It can be explained in terms of if/then/else--which you find easily
comprehended--; so when it's explained in that context it should be
readily understood....no?

Again, I'll grant you that there is more to switches than that simple
example shows; but the basic concept is not that difficult to
understand or explain (to me; but I have to defer to your classroom
experience, as unintuitive as it is to moi).

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company