Object Library woes

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 05:00:37 EST 2006

On 2/19/06, Cal Horner <calhorner at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> Am I the only one or are other people having trouble using the Rev "Bog"
> standard object library with 2.7?
>
> After attempting to follow very vague installation instructions I have once
> again covered my forehead in key impressions, by banging it against the
> keyboard. Then, shaking my head in disgust, I shall wait hopefully for
> instructions that an idiot can follow.
>
> Anyone have a detailed answer to this problem?

Firstly, it look as if the standard object library is not included
with 2.7 but assuming you still have 2.6, you can install it manually.

In Rev 2.7, go to the Development menu and choose "Object library".
Click "New library..." and enter a name, then close the library
window. Do the same with the image library if you want.

Now quit Rev 2.7 and go to your Documents folder and find the "My
Revolution Enterprise" folder or "My Revolution Studio" of whatever.
Inside that folder, you should now find a Resources folder that
contains an "Object Libraries" folder and, if you created an image
library, an "Image Libraries" folder.

In your Rev 2.6.1 (or earlier) folder, locate the following file:
"components/save/userobjects/revdefaultlibrary.rev". Copy it to the
new "Objects Library" folder. Copy any other custom libraries to the
appropriate folder. When you re-start Rev 2.7, they will now be
available.

> I have one general question, that begs a philosophical answer.
>
> What is the matter with the developers of Revolution. Don't they realize
> that we don't need to relearn the development environment every time they
> release a new maintenance version?

I don't use these libraries very much and I now use Constellation for
all editing, so I hadn't noticed any change in the development
environment, but I can't see that there were many changes. Any that
were changed, you can be sure the Rev team were trying to improve
matters, not make them worse. If you feel that something has been
worsened, please enter it into Bugzilla so that it is officially
lodged as a feature request / bug report. Questions to this mailing
list usually get answers that involve workarounds or more detailed
instructions, but to get the original problem solved, you must enter
it on Bugzilla.

Regards,
Sarah