Installer design and backdrops

Lynn Fredricks lynn at paradigmasoft.com
Sat Feb 18 18:06:26 EST 2006

> MeshInstall looks nicer, pending a final release. And, if you
> could have a MacOSX version available as well anytime real
> soon now .... it would be the installer of my dreams.

We (different company that Paradigma) created it because we have a thriving
content business. I hate to admit it here but...we built it with REALbasic.
The one big snag we've experienced is permissions on the Mac. As I
understand it, there are system calls that REALbasic uses to handle these
and they rely fully on what is going on in the underlying operating system -
REAL staff have told me (and I have no reason to dispute this) that the
system call can actually lose permissions. This only affects MeshInstall on
building the MacOS X version -- but get this -- the Windows version can
build both Windows and MacOS X executable installers from the same project.
The goal was that we would release a MacOS X version of MeshInstall that
would also support building Windows installers.

I have been selling and marketing RAD tools since 1998, and there is a
philosophical problem I have with the "wrapped system call" way I thinking.
Should a RAD tool, especially a tool that is supposed to allow easy
deployment of cross-platform applications, attempt to fix or suppliment OS
level issues?

If this topic interests you, Ive set up a poll on Digital Pilon here, along
with a thread:

http://www.digitalpilon.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software, Inc

Joining Worlds of Information

Deploy True Client-Server Database Solutions
Royalty Free with Valentina Developer Network
 http://www.paradigmasoft.com