Main menu puzzle, Klaus

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Sat Feb 18 15:04:45 EST 2006

Hey guys,

I don't understand why you guys don't like switch case statements?
Really. I am trying to remember the first time I saw and used them
back in Supercard. I remember thinking they were more difficult to
write but once I did they seemed to do a lot more than if then's or
at least with fewer words.
I am curious to maybe what I saw that others didn't or what others
see (and don't like) that I didn't see.
Given:

on mouseUp
put "Red" into colorBall

switch colorBall
	case "Blue"
		answer "Blue" with "OK"
	break
	case "Red"
		answer "Red" with "OK"
	break
	case "Green"
		answer "Green" with "OK"
	break
	default
		answer "None" with "OK"
end switch

end mouseUp
-----------------
on mouseUp
put "Red" into colorBall

if colorBall is "Blue" then
	answer "Blue" with "OK"
else if colorBall is "Red" then
	answer "Red" with "OK"
else if colorBall is "Green" then
	answer "Green" with "OK"
else if colorBall is not "Green" or "Red" or "Blue" then
	answer "None" with "OK"
end if

end mouseUp

The if then statement looks busier to me and just seems uglier
whereas the case just seems a little cleaner. but does have more
lines. But my eye can follow the different 'cases' a lot easier in
the switch statement.

(I am not trying to argue this as much as I am trying to gain some
insight to how others think and see things)

Thanks

Tom