Standalones, externals, file paths in 2.7

Jon Seymour jonseymour at mac.com
Fri Feb 17 17:09:39 EST 2006

Hi,

I decided to make the leap to 2.7 and have found it a little
depressing. Thanks to Jacqueline for the answer on the image library
2.6 --> 2.7, but I'm curious as to how in the world I was going to
figure that out? Why didn't the installer just move or copy the
library to its new home? On a similar note:

I'm using OS X to build standalones for Mac and Win32. I use a small
"splash screen" stack as the app as recommended by many. I've been
really careful to handle all the nuances/differences in x-platform
filepath structure in scripts, and the process has been working for
months through countless new builds. Now, first, when I save as
standalone for Win32 under 2.7, out of nowhere comes an "Externals"
folder in the same directory as the exe. It's empty, but...I do use
the altBrowser plugin and have carefully assigned the location of its
externals in another location.  When I launch the exe, the splash
screen shows and then fails to go anywhere. Two possible problems, I
think: first, there is a change in the methodology used to construct
filepaths for Win in 2.7, or...this Externals folder wants to house
altBrowser and that is somehow causing a problem. Any thoughts? I do
not develop on Win so I'm a little stuck.

Can someone point me in the direction of any documentation on changes
in the standalone settings or file path construction? I'm a little
frazzled with my app breaking at this point!

Thanks,

Jon