File sharing, locking, etc... between multiple users...

Jonathan Lynch jonathandlynch at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:51:56 EST 2006

Hello again,

That is useful stuff to consider. At some point, I am going to create an app
called Manager Mage, or some such thing, - that will be used for
coordinating the efforts of each individual.

Task Mage approaches this from a very different perspective.

It is from the point of view of the stream of consciousness of the person
sitting at his desk, working on multiple projects.

Date oriented to-do list programs just suck, because not all tasks can be
assigned to a date or time. Most tasks, in my experience, are on-going.

So, task mage uses task files that do not have a particular date or time
attached to them. Each task file has its own sub-to-do list, and any item in
a sub-to-do list can be assigned to the calendar as needed, but it doesn't
have to be.

So, from the users perspective, when he is on the front page of task mage,
he has a to do list on the right side of the screen that automatically
organizes his tasks into whatever categories and sub-categories he sets up
for himself.

The left side of the screen contains a table that is used as a schedule for
the current day, that he can use his today schedule or not as he wishes. All
he has to do is drag items from his to-do list to his schedule.

Each item in his to-do list contains a link to that task file.

So, when he is working on a task, he can just click the link for that task,
go to the task, make whatever changes to his notes, status, sub-to-do list,
etc... that he needs to make, then go back to the front page to see what he
needs to work on next.

He can also add new tasks very quickly.

The idea is to be able to switch between tasks, make changes, and go back to
what you were doing so quickly that the yours short-term memory has not
dropped the details of what your were working on at that moment.

This allows for efficient multi-tasking.

In general, multitasking is very ineffecient, as has been shown by multiple
studies, because it takes considerable mental effort and time to orient on a
task, then re-orient on what you working on before you switched.

Task Mage eliminates that problem.

And I know it works, because I use it all day long at work, and it makes me
way more efficient, and with using it I almost never forget about tasks.

Manager coordination is a whole other perspective - one that will require a
different app that integrates with Task Mage.

Gonna take me forever to finish this project.

Cheers,

Jonathan