File sharing, locking, etc... between multiple users...

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 18:45:56 EST 2006

On further thought on the record locking..
It might be possible for you to take the approach that the real field is
never edited real time, but only a temp field that is later processed in the
time sequence (the seconds) 'submitted' in an orderly event loop.  This way,
4 users could be editing the "same field" while seeing that other users are
doing likewise ("chat room style").

This is especially valuable in an office where a user starts to edit a
field, gets phone call,  heads to a meeting....  or just switches to another
program to look for the info to put into the field and forgets to come back
to hit the enterKey.  In old FileMaker, workers were often walking around
trying to find out who was 'still' editing that field and not back from
lunch yet.

Just a thought.

Jim  Ault
Las Vegas