Installer design and backdrops

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Feb 16 18:40:55 EST 2006

Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
> It's typically better to use the installation solution provided by the
> OS when one is available -- user familiarity and so forth...

Agreed in general, but on OS X we see a fairly even mix of installers
using Apple's and using a few third party ones as well, and as you note
MS' installer fails to grab a lot of people, leaving InstallShield and
WiseInstall solidly in the #1 and #2 spots respectively.  Since an
installer is used exactly once per product any deviance from UI norms
will have minimal impact, and such norms are minor and loosely followed
anyway.

For myself, my needs are modest but varied, and must be not only
automatable but sometimes also able to be built by my clients as well as
here.  It's simpler for me to just make it myself than continue with the
hodge-podge of third-party stuff I've been working with over the years.

Thanks to all for the notes on the backdrop.  I'm quite happy to dump
that; good to get the unanimous validation.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation