[ANN] New File Format plugin for 2.7

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Feb 15 16:14:24 EST 2006

As many of you have read, the file formats are no longer backwards
compatible with the new 2.7. Thoughtfully, RunRev provided many of us
beta testers with a way to force a stack to revert back to an old file
format using an undocumented and unsupported global property.

This of course is fraught with potential problems. If you use a newly
introduced token in a script, chances are your new stacks would break
when opening in a previous version even when using this plugin.

But, if you're like me, and you have to go 'back and forth' (for
instance our plugins must work in both environments), you really need to
be able to do this. So, I wrote this plugin and thought I'd share it
with the community.

I'm not sure the reason why RR won't publish the global property to make
this possible. But, in the meantime, I've written a plugin, which you
can place in your 2.7 plugins folder, which will do this. I've password
protected the stack so that Rev's secret global prop is still secret,
and of course I provide no warranties it will work all the time, but it
can be a lifesaver if you're toggling back and forth between apps.

I also recommend using our altArchive plugin as well to maintain
serialilze archived versions of your stack each time you save.

To get the StackFormat plugin, just type into your 2.7 message box and
hit return the following:

go URL "http://www.gadgetplugins.com/altplugins/StackFormat.rev"

Then save it to your plugins folder. That's all there is to it.

best,

Chipp