Getting Started with a Database

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Feb 15 12:13:32 EST 2006

David-

Wednesday, February 15, 2006, 7:58:01 AM, you wrote:

> All my Stack needs to do is:

> 1.  Create the Database.
> I have a list of image files in a folder, the name field is the name
> of the file, the Type and Size fields are determined by looking up
> the name in a text file and the path is just the local path to the
> image file. This operation can (and will be slow) but this is
> acceptable since it will only be performed once.

What I do is create an SQL command file and then feed that to mySQL.

"DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS" && dbName
"CREATE DATABASE" && dbName
"USE" && dbName
"CREATE TABLE" && dbName -- plus all the qualifiers
-- etc.

> 2.  Retrieve from the Database.
> The user enters a name, the record with this name is returned.

revOpenDatabase ...
revDataFromQuery ...

> Is this really a massive learning curve? I have until Monday to get

Yes, probably. Find yourself a good SQL tutorial online.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net