Problem with Pass command

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Feb 14 15:39:05 EST 2006

Stgoldberg at aol.com wrote:
> Perhaps someone can help with the following problem   I have involving the
> pass command.   I have a button that performs a certain action. A field (it
> could also be another button) overlies the button.   I'd like to arrange so that
> if I click on the field the message passes through it to the button.   How can
> I do this?   I've set the locktext of the field to true and had either no
> script associated with the field or inserted the following script:
> on mouseUp
> pass mouseUp
> end mouseUp
>
> Nothing happens though. How can I get the button to react?   Thanks very
> much.

As Klaus said, you'll have to use "send mouseup" to the button. The
"pass" command will pass the message on through the message hierarchy,
but since your button and your field are at the same level in the
hierarchy, neither will see any messages that go through the other.
Physical layering doesn't determine message order.

There's a good script conference stack on the message hierarchy that
explains it very well.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com