Revolution RUMORS!

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Feb 14 09:16:58 EST 2006

On 14 Feb 2006, at 03:55, kee nethery wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2006, at 6:36 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> kee nethery wrote:
>>
>>> To use the house analogy, the homeowner gave me instructions on
>>> how  to get into his house and get stuff I was supposed to be
>>> able to get.  I followed the homeowner's instructions and saw
>>> things that perhaps  the homeowner might not want me to see, but
>>> since I was following the  homeowner's instructions, I figured
>>> the news was public knowledge.  All this fuss could have been
>>> avoided if the homeowner had locked the  door that I had been
>>> told to use.
>>> I do not see Richmond as a villain in this situation.
>>
>> Okay, I see your point and I have been corrected in email too.
>> When I posted I didn't realize how easy it was to gain access to
>> the site. I apologize to Richmond for calling him unethical. Maybe
>> he was just thoughtless.
>>
>> But just to extend the analogy, suppose I arrived at the home and
>> found the door lock broken with a sign over it "Please knock".
>> Suppose I went in anyway and accidentally saw the homeowner
>> engaged in a private activity. I hope I would back out quietly,
>> and resist the impulse to grab my videocamera.

A better analogy, in this case would be, if you had entered the first
door as usual and then found that the key would not work properly on
the second door, but that the first was locked behind you and that to
get out would perhaps cause you to damage yourself in some way.

By this I mean that once you had opened the page, all that it was
possible to do was to either press cancel or try to hack the username
and password. You could not close the window that was asking you to
log on and so it was stuck open. If you had downloads in progress
they would have been lost since the only way out was to force-quit
the browser.

> This example seems kind of specific. :-) Do you per chance live in
> a house that once upon a time had a broken door lock and ...

lol!

All the Best
Dave