Revolution RUMOURS!

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Mon Feb 13 17:30:24 EST 2006

 From my rev key email:

    If you haven't already downloaded the latest version of Revolution,
    then please do so from here:
        http://downloads.runrev.com/revolution

I needed to download a new copy to troubleshoot the bugs I was
running into and so ... I went to the URL
_that_revolution_sent_to_me_in_my_reg_key_email _ and I figured I
might as well upgrade to 2.7 instead since it was available. So I
clicked on the download link and got the never ending username/
password dialog and I too had to keep pressing cancel because my
browser gave me no other option. Since the link was broken, I tried
the FTP URL on that page and could see that 2.7 was not on the web site.

So I downloaded 2.6 and 2.6.1 and went on with my day.

To use the house analogy, the homeowner gave me instructions on how
to get into his house and get stuff I was supposed to be able to get.
I followed the homeowner's instructions and saw things that perhaps
the homeowner might not want me to see, but since I was following the
homeowner's instructions, I figured the news was public knowledge.
All this fuss could have been avoided if the homeowner had locked the
door that I had been told to use.

I do not see Richmond as a villain in this situation. I see the
revolution webmaster as being under-trained in how to keep private
information private on a public server.

Kee Nethery