Revolution RUMORS!

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Feb 13 15:03:55 EST 2006

Jonathan Lynch wrote:
> I am pretty sure Richmond's intentions were not evil. In fact, it would
> appear that from his perspective, he was promoting RunRev's new features -
> features that we are all likely to appreciate.
>
> I am not saying it was wise for Richmond to tell us how to hack the RR site,
> just that we should not be gleeful about making someone an outcast.

I was hoping to avoid participating in this discussion here and this
will be my only post on the subject, but it's worth noting that there's
really no "hacking" going on here.  The problem is less with Richmond's
poor judgment than with the unconventional way RunRev is updating their
site:

All links coming into the site from Google and other search engines will
land the user on the new 404 page, which references still-proprietary
info for the public.

While I agree it would have been wiser for Richmond to post a note to
RunRev rather than here, I suspect a few hundred others have landed on
the 404 page from search engines over the weekend.

Posting a 404 page which had no proprietary info, along with a properly
set up htaccess file, could have avoided this.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal