Contrib to old topics - why isn't Rev more popular?

Marty Billingsley marty at vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 13 13:08:50 EST 2006

Ken Apthorpe <ken.apthorpe at optusnet.com.au> writes:

> I'll finish with an analogy.  Back in the days when getting up a web site
> was all the rage, the hand coders would sneer at WSIWYG web tools like the
> early versions of Dreamweaver and Cyberstudio.  Now what are even the
> professionals using?  Dreamweaver and GoLive. There is a lesson in there for
> Rev I think.

I found, to my surprise, that professionals aren't using Dreamweaver and
GoLive and are, in fact, coding by hand.  Our school's web site was
redesigned recently (well, 18 months ago)  by the University's web
services division -- a division that supports itself by contracting out
for web site design, i.e., they are professionals.  They used Photoshop to
mock up the design for us, and then the code view of Dreamweaver for
implementation for everything but the rollovers (exported from Photoshop).
No design view at all (could have used BBEdit instead).  And now, as web
content manager for the school, I make all our changes by hand (a terminal
window and vi are a lot faster than Dreamweaver and FTP).

OT, but what the hay.

  - marty

--
Marty Billingsley (marty at ucls.uchicago.edu)
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools