More about Granny Mckay's steam-driven computer

Wally Rodriguez wlists at fireworksmm.com
Fri Feb 10 11:06:15 EST 2006

I tell you something.. One thing RR has done for me and my company is
to make some of those really old machines useful again.

I have developed a couple of applications for quick web page
generation, a slate generator (slates are the identifiers and
countdowns used in video commercials) and a pretty fancy remote
control system for my home theater (which I will post some
information here later as it has turned out to be quite a fun project).

In all cases I have been able to revive a few OS9 machines that were
lying around the office to act as dedicated front ends for these
applications.

The remote control application in particular, has allowed me to use a
few of the old PowerBook 2400c "Comet" laptops as fancy "whole-house"
automation front ends so that I can now control the whole system
including volume, sources, modes plus iTunes from anywhere in the
house. It's pretty cool to hit a "nighttime" button in the bedroom
and have all the lights and all the systems shutdown.

So as much as it would be dificult for these machines to do some of
the fancier stuff out there, they sure have come back in this other
"life" thanks to RR.