PayPal, Kagi, esellerate. Splitting revenue

Lynn Fredricks lynn at paradigmasoft.com
Wed Feb 8 12:57:42 EST 2006

> Perhaps a point of clarification....
>
> I was thinking a lot about tools that are targeted at folks
> who use shareware all the time. Developers and power users. I
> do not think this approach would work well for end user,
> consumer or professional.
> But how many of you out there make some money on shareware or
> developer tools?  I know there area lot of you...Wouldn't it
> be nice to have a way to quickly a collaboration agreement
> together and get some thing out the door ASAP.

Right -- it is convenient, especially if the amounts are small. Id have
concerns doing that with software though vs content because the ownership
of the software is more complicated, and the core of a software product is
often used in multiple products. For example, we have a content licensing
business in which a per item investment maybe be a few hundred dollars or
less, and its easy enough to predict what sales are going to be over the
course of X amount of time. We don't build a product strategy on top of one
piece of content :-)

But then I look at another project we have coming along, a type of installer
product called MeshInstall. We can reuse bits and pieces of MeshInstall in
other products and of course in its own upgrade path. That would be a mess
if someone else could claim shared ownership.

When makes me think though is the level of trust concerns you mentioned
before in establishing payments. To me, divvying up sales % is small stuff
in comparision to that - it is like asking someone out on a date after you
have already put a ring on their finger. If you already have that level of
trust, then the end benefit is solely a matter of convenience.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Proactive International, LLC