How to save data from standalone?

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Mon Feb 6 16:54:43 EST 2006

Thanks for the input.

>> 1. I thought I had read on this list that custom properties were
>> saved in standalone format that there was no need to create a splash
>> screen to handle this. What did I get wrong?
>
> If you need to save data changes then you need
> separate substacks; or create a splashscreen and use your mainstack as
> a separate substack of it.

But with multiple users, the data of one user gets overwritten by the
data of another one, no? Sarah's trick of storing the data within the
package content or some directory presents the same problem if I
understand correctly, doesn't it? Overwriting the data of one user
with the ones of another will be a real problem. I am not storing
preferences, I am storing actual data.

I tried to talk some experienced (non revolution) programmer about
the file in the package solution. I was told to keep away from that.

Using pathToUsersDocumentsFolder would therefore be a better
approach, but I don't really want to create a file within this folder
as the file is in a completely adhoc format that would puzzle anybody
who come across it.

Eric's solution is the best one, but I have a long list of data to
save. I did consider it. The problem is that it's is not really
appropriate to store that amount of data in a preferences file. They
are not preferences, they are data.

Has anybody ever tried the     User/Library/Application Support
way? Is there any problem associated with this solution? What's the
equivalent on a PC? I am not after a quick fix but after a "clean"
way to do this (compliant with developer's recommendations). I can
find this info for a mac, but I know little about PCs.

Thanks for your help,
Marielle

--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist