Fonts

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 28 00:18:55 EST 2006

The Linux font problem appears to be with Debian only.  I took Fedora off my
laptop, where all the Fedora fonts were usable, and put Etch 32 bit on
instead, at which point once again only two (bitstream charter and courier 10
pitch) work correctly, as posted earlier.

There is probably a simple fix for this but I'm not finding it.  The Windows
behaviour though is different.  In the Linux case, it seems that all the
fonts which are selectable through the ide work between 12 and 24 point.  All
save two revert to 12 point if larger or smaller sizes are picked.  In the XP
case it seems that Verdana 24 is reverting to 12 point.

It would be an interesting experiment to try with all of the selectable fonts
in the ide, using a size known to be problematic, like 48.  One would expect
to see, if there is a general font problem, that two or three fonts would
behave correctly and the rest not.

It would also be interesting to try different sizes of Verdana.  If it is the
same or a related problem, one would expect that some sizes should behave
correctly and the problem should occur when you get larger or smaller.  Does
Verdana 18 display properly?

Peter