Removing a stack from memory - is this a bug?

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Wed Dec 27 17:04:53 EST 2006

Joe, welcome to the list. I didn't get serious with Rev until 2003.
I've been around xTalks since I built many stacks for
<http://barncard.com/amstudios/htdoc/Pages/TC.html>A&M Records in
1986-1998 and was on the MacMarines and Evangelist lists.

I too came to Rev seeking immediate conversion of many HC stacks.

My first hurdle was that I was using a lot of XCMDs and XFCNs. Since
rev has almost everything you need natively, a lot of these can be
'patched' by defining the HC functions in syntax in a stack script
(or library) that is always available.

Even common functions that were in HC have different syntax, like replace()

FUNCTION replace2 stringToReplace,ReplacementString,textBlockToReplaceIn
     replace stringToReplace with ReplacementString in textBlockToReplaceIn
     return textBlockToReplaceIn
END replace2

The error messages could keep you busy on a freshly imported stack.

Sometimes it's easier in the long run to export the data while still
in Hypercard land... and recreate on the rev end, or better yet, use
a real database like Valentina or MySQL.

One tends to end up starting from scratch redesigning newer and
better ways to do the task in Rev vs HC, because the feature set is
so rich. Only the simplest of stacks (1 background, x cds)  can be
imported into rev directly, but by re-thinking the data and using the
really good controls included, you could find yourself building
things even more quickly than HC.

One example. I often used to have to use over 100 xcmds in a stack to
make it do things I wanted it to do. A pair of them was created by
the great Rinaldi, and were called TextRes() and ResText().  All they
did was to save text data as a resource file inside the stack, and
retrieve it.

tada! In Rev one can have custom properties...  and add TextRes() and
ResText() handlers to take their place and eventually replace them
after stuff gets working..

and laying out of the elements is a lot more fun....and real color!!

anyway, Hang in there! We on this list have figured it takes about a
couple of weeks working with a project where it all starts to make
sense  - the proverbial AHA moment - followed by moments of complete
bafflement, after which one gives in and asks on this list what the
hell is going on. You'll get your answer in about 4 flavors in about
an hour. And eventually it will become second nature.

It was easy for me to say at first  "ah this will be easy because I'm
an Hypertalk power user" and then get down to actually learning the
exceptions and new commands. But it's quick and fun and beautiful (at
least on a Mac!!) and the cross platform thing is a bonus.

I'm sure others would have some tips for converting stacks.

sqb

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o