Problem with BinaryEncode and variable params

Matt revcompgeek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 16:05:03 EST 2006

On 12/18/06, Mark Schonewille <m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com> wrote:

> If I execute the following
>
>    put "0,0,1" into x
>    put x+0
>
> I get the error
>
> Type: Operator (+: error in left operand)
> Object: button id 1003 of card id 1002 of stack "Untitled 1"
> Object name: Button
> Line: put x+0 (row 3 col 7)
> Hint:
>
> Here, x is a string rather than a number and you can't do
> calculations on it. I bet a similar problem causes your data type
> error. Can you check what is in the variable before you execute
> binaryEncode?
>
> Best,
>
> Mark
>
> --
>
> Economy-x-Talk
> Consultancy and Software Engineering
> http://economy-x-talk.com
> http://www.salery.biz
>
> Get your store on-line within minutes with Salery Web Store software.
> Download at http://www.salery.biz
>
> Op 17-dec-2006, om 17:12 heeft Bryan McCormick het volgende geschreven:
>
> > Mark,
> >
> > Thanks for the work around, however it would be nice if we could
> > get to the bottom of this and figure out why binaryEncode isn't
> > taking the variable as it should. It ought to work, there are
> > examples out there which did work seemingly in the past using this
> > method.
> >
> > To be clear it is binaryEncode which is throwing the error of
> > "wrong data type". See previous first post where it is pretty clear
> > that binaryEncode should be seeing the vars as numbers.
> >

> > Thanks all.

As an answer to your question if I did

put "0,1,0" into temp
put item 1 of temp + 1

It will put "1" in the message box because the "item 1 of temp" is executed
first, giving "0", and then +1 is executed, adding 1 to the result of the
first, which is then send to the message box. Therefore, (item 1 of temp) +
1 is the same as item 1 of temp + 1.

--
Matthew Peterson
Programmer