flash drive serial number seems different on Mac & Win

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Fri Dec 22 01:32:02 EST 2006

Can anyone tell me how to resolve this issue?

On Windows, I plug in a generic flash drive and do a "vol". here's what I get:

  Volume in drive E has no label.
  Volume Serial Number is D50E-596C    <---- key item here

Then I switch over to Mac OS X and do a "system_profiler SPUSBFileType" in
terminal. Here's what I get (just the relevant part):

     USB Flash Memory:

       Capacity: 489 MB
       Removable Media: Yes
       Detachable Drive: Yes
       BSD Name: disk2
       Version: 1.00
       Bus Power (mA): 500
       Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
       OS9 Drivers: No
       Product ID: 0x6533
       Serial Number: 0B205760D0225926    <---- key item here
       S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
       Vendor ID: 0x0930

Note that the reported serial numbers are different, even though they are
reporting info about one and the same device. I've tried some base conversions
to resolve the differences, but without success.

Can anyone please explain how to reconcile the difference between the two
reports? Thanks in advance for all comments - this list is *stinking rich* with
experience!

Phil Davis