On being wrong . . .

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 15:52:22 EST 2006

My grandfather (Dr Richmond McIntosh) was a wise man
who, unfortunately, kept most of his wisdom close to
his chest - however, his grandson has a big mouth (no,
surely not?) and is more than happy to share his
grandfather's wisdom.

He said that it was often more useful to be creatively
and constructively wrong than boringly right.

As a fairly arrogant sort (pause for deep breath) I
would like to characterise myself as rather like James
Logie Baird, the quondam inventor of television, who
got a wonderful idea badly wrong in such a way that
the real inventor (an American nobody remembers - OK,
OK, get me on that one) was able to invent a much more
efficient system that avoided all the pitfalls so
brilliantly mapped out by Logie Baird's load of
rubbish.

It's 11pm after a heavy, heavy day of teaching and
installing Linucx systems, so you will all have to
forgive my inchoate burblings.

But, Ah dinnae scrieve some blaud o blether fae those
sudron fowk tae laich at i thair unco unmensefuness.

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

"Its time to do Philosophy and stop worrying about what dead men said."
                                                                                           Mathewson 2006