CPU timings

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Dec 19 15:17:39 EST 2006

Scott Rossi wrote:
> Recently, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> I have a Mac PowerBook G4 that runs at 864 MHz. I want to know how this
>> would compare to a Pentium III running at 800 MHz. I think Pentiums are
>> a little faster than Motorola chips, but in general, do you think they'd
>> run at about the same speed? Or close?
>
> IMO, I would say there may not be any "real" way to know.  If your stack has
> any kind of visual component to it, then the capabilities of the graphics
> cards can affect performance as well, or at least perceived performance.  If
> your stack is processing only, then perhaps the systems may be close, but
> someone else may have a better answer.

I think you're probably right, but I was hoping. I guess Jim's test
method is the one I'll have to use.

Isn't a Pentium III/800Mhz a pretty old machine? Anyone know what's
"average" out there in PC land? That is, if you were going to aim for a
generic speed, what hardware would you use as a best-guess value?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com