CPU timings

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 19 14:01:46 EST 2006

On 12/19/06 10:12 AM, "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:

> I am trying to estimate the different timings between CPUs so I can
> adjust some animation scripts accordingly. My available hardware for
> testing is limited though.
>
> I have a Mac PowerBook G4 that runs at 864 MHz. I want to know how this
> would compare to a Pentium III running at 800 MHz. I think Pentiums are
> a little faster than Motorola chips, but in general, do you think they'd
> run at about the same speed? Or close?

You could build a little test stack that did some operations and stored a
baseline value for these, then in the operating environ, trigger these, get
the new values and prorate.

For example (typed and not tested)

on authorTime
get the ticks
repeat 3000
add 1 to tempp
end repeat
set the cp3KBaseline of this stack to the ticks - it div 3000
get the ticks
runIntro
set the cpIntroBaseline of this stack to the ticks - it
save this stack
end authorTime

on openstack
if the filename of this stack contains the cpAuthor of this stack
then authorTime
get the ticks
repeat 3000
add 1 to tempp
end repeat
get the ticks - it div 3000
set the cp3KRate of this stack to it/the cp3KBaseline of this stack
get the ticks
runIntro
get the ticks - it
set the cpIntroRate of this stack to it/the cpIntroBaseline of this stack

put "cp3KRate = " & the cp3KRate of this stack & \
 " cpIntroRate = " & the cpIntroRate of this stack into msg
end openstack

___and now you have two ratios that can be used in animation or other timing
calcs.  This is just an idea, but it should get you in the ball park.  If
you are running the stack on your computer, then both ratios should be
1.00000

Now have someone run the stack and let you know their ratios.

Hope this helps in some way

Jim Ault
Las Vegas