Beginning Programming for Dummies 4th edn

Jerry Muelver jerry at hytext.com
Sat Dec 9 21:35:28 EST 2006

Dan Shafer wrote:
> Jerry,
>

> On 12/9/06, Jerry Muelver <jerry at hytext.com> wrote:
>
> The ultimate cost of NOT having
>> the proper learning tools has to be staggeringly higher than the cost of
>> developing them.
>>

>> ---- Jerry Muelver
>> ______________
>

> Apparently RR disagrees. Although I think they have been trying really hard
> with their latest round of in-house docs and they've been supportive of my
> efforts when I've made them.

Dan, I was thinking more of the cost to the programmer, actually.
Billing out at $60/hr, it doesn't take long to make back one's
investment in programming guides and tutorials in terms of the time
saved by not having to reinvent flint-chipping, or list-box displaying
to choose a card from a stack. Still, programming book authoring may not
be the shortcut to fame to and fortune that it's cracked up to be. My
wife, after suffering with me through what we know refer to as "the book
years", points out that J. K. Rowling has done quite well without
dirtying her hands with coding examples and syntax formatting, and that
the leap from computer languages to unabashed outright fiction is
conceptually not really all that far, and a heckuva lot more lucrative....

---- Jerry Muelver