Beginning Programming for Dummies 4th edn

Adrian Williams adrian at clubtype.co.uk
Sat Dec 9 07:26:11 EST 2006

Peter,
As a new user of Revolution I agree with your analysis of Dummies.
Small things can make a huge difference to beginners!

For me 'Software At The Speed Of Thought' lacks an Index at the back
which would make zeroing in on snippets *much* easier to locate.
To counter this lack, I found myself having to use a highlighter pen on
virtually every word of Courier (of current interest) set in the text.

That's another thing. Typographically, the Times/Courier combination is
not a good one. Important single words of Courier are hard to detect.
One has to read the whole paragraph to encounter the Courier emphasized
word.
It does not have enough emphasis to make it stand out and contrast with
Times.
All 'Code' text in Courier Bold would have been better and easy to do.

Yes, these comments are picky, but in a constructive way I hope and
free advice from a Typeface Designer.

Adrian