Return in entry fields

Charles Szasz cszasz at mac.com
Fri Dec 8 15:55:10 EST 2006

I have the following script in fields where the user enter data. The
script allows only two digits to be entered into fields. This works
great with the user using the Tab key to move to the next field after
data is entered. However, if the user enters two numbers and presses
the Return key, the numbers are pushed aside in the entry field and
you cannot see the numbers and the enter does not advance to the next
field.

How can I allow entry of two numbers using the Tab and Return key?

ON keyDown whichKey
   IF whichKey is a number THEN
     IF the selection is not empty THEN delete the selection
     IF the length of me < 2 THEN
       pass keyDown
     ELSE
       beep -- or something to indicate longer number is prohibited
     END IF
   END IF
END keyDown

Charles Szasz