Multi-standalone communication

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Dec 7 15:26:01 EST 2006

Richard Miller wrote:
> The computer in question is not set up with networking.

I'm not sure if UDP on the same machine is prevented even without
external networking enabled.  Maybe someone here can explain.

But if all you need is to pass some info from one app to another,
depending on the frequency of the exchange you may find using a file
isn't a bad option.

While it's true that accessing a file's contents is relatively slow,
that is relative.  More importantly, checking for the existence of a
file is much faster than checking its contents, in many cases quite
acceptably so.

You could conceivably have the listening app check a folder in
specialFolderPath("temporary") for a file of a specific and
unlikely-to-be-used name (e.g., "MySpecialDataFile34583895"), using a
timer set for, say, once every half-second or so, depending on the
frequency you need (could be less, could be more; the less often it
checks the better of course).

The sending app would write to that file any time it needs to send info
to the other app, and the other app would see that it's there and if it
is then it reads it, deletes the file, and does whatever it needs with
the data:

on ListenForData
   put (specialFolderPath("temporary")&"/MySpecialDataFile34583895" \
     into tTempFile
   if there is a file tTempFile then
     put url ("file:"&tTempFile) into tMyData
     delete file tTempFile
     -- do something with the data here:

   end if
   send "ListenForData" to me in 500 millisecs -- half a second
end ListenForData

On a relatively slow Mac (1GHz G4) it takes about a quarter millisecond
to get the file name using specialFolderPath and check its existence.

If you get the file name only once and store it in a variable, the time
to just check for its existence drops to only 0.0165 ms:

local sTempFile

on InitListening
   put (specialFolderPath("temporary")&"/MySpecialDataFile34583895" \
     into sTempFile
   ListenForData
end InitListening

on ListenForData
   if there is a file sTempFile then
     put url ("file:"&sTempFile) into tMyData
     delete file sTempFile

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal