Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 13:04:52 EST 2006

On 12/6/06 8:28 AM, "Eric Chatonet" <eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hello Richard and Jim,
>
> Thanks to both of you for your suggestions:
>
> Richard: trying to add the username and the password to an http url
> unfortunately does not work.
> Jim: I did not think of libURLSetLogField and
> libURLSetStatusCallback: good idea :-)
>
> Finally as I did not wanted to have too much code to modify...
> I ended by using load with a "ftp" form:
>
> put "ftp://" & tUserName & colon & tPassword & "@" & tAddress into tUrl
> load url tUrl --
> DisplayProgress tUrl --
>
> And it works like a charm.

Glad you got your solution.  My steps are meant to be blocking (code
execution stops until complete download) since there is no reason to
continue until the entire file is downloaded.  In other cases, I use the
same form so that the data gets put into a local variable that dies at the
end of the handler, thus does not stay around in Rev memory.

The 'load url someFileSomeWhere ' both continues to download in the
background and builds the file in memory in order to cache it.  Basically,
it is a global that does not die until you

   quit Rev/the app, or
   unload url someFileSomeWhere

I think of the file/web page cache as Rev downloading the data to memory and
giving it a variable name of "someFileSomeWhere"

Also, I think if you are accessing web pages, repeated 'load url' commands
to the same url means Rev checks the cache first, and if something is there,
it delivers that to your handler, rather than re-downloading.  Therefore,
the 'unload' is necessary before a 'load url' to be sure you are getting the
updated version.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas