Revolution and the Web, feedback wanted, Part 1 of 3

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Dec 1 16:18:43 EST 2006

Recently, Mikey wrote:

>> MetaCard was the original product until Runtime took over. Now it is
>> just another alternate IDE, though as you mention, the GUI is less
>> elaborate. But everything that can be done in Rev can also be done in MC
>> because the engine is the same, and in some cases, the GUI is similar as
>> well. They are more alike than different. I use both, all the time, for
>> different things.

> Since I clearly know zero about MC, give me an example of why I would
> use MC instead of RR.

The best reasons are those written about in the past: the simple, minimal
interface, while perhaps not the most attractive, is functional, fast, and
pretty much stays out of your way.  It's a bare bones approach.  Some have
argued this allows you to focus more on stack development.

> I'm also assuming that the file formats are different, right?

No.  Again, it's just an IDE, a means to edit stacks, that runs using the
same engine as Revolution, just without the bells and whistles of
Revolution's IDE.  You can edit stacks in both environments, but
Revolution's IDE employs some custom stack properties that MC ignores.

Personally, the only reason I don't use MC now is because I develop stacks
that need to coexist with Rev's IDE, so I need to deal.  But as someone who
started in "what-was-Revolution-before-there-ever-was-a-Revolution", I would
say MC is a very useful front end for development.

FWIW.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director