Fun Project: xTalk GUID Generator

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Dec 1 11:56:06 EST 2006

Bill-

> Does any have handy, or would be interested in writing, a bona-fide GUID
> generator?

> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4122.txt

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globally_Unique_Identifier

> It's probably simpler than I can comprehend from all the programmer-talk in
> those pages.

I doubt the Transcript code would be much simpler than the C# <g>:

System.Guid desiredGuid = System.Guid.NewGuid();

but I second Dar's concern over the "bona-fide" qualifier. Microsoft's
implementation has been criticized as being unsecure - the MAC id can
still be identified from the guid, and therefore documents can be
trace to their owners - that's how the writer of the Melissa virus was
found. The "standard" way of generating a guid involves the MAC id and
a time string - are you looking for something more secure than that?

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net