encode text to image

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Thu Aug 31 16:15:42 EDT 2006

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Dar Scott <dsc at swcp.com> wrote:

>The name "the text" for the property of the image that stores the
>standard compressed image is a little strange since the is binary.
>Perhaps it comes from the fact that you can do this...
>
>    put imageValue into image "Image 1"
>
>... and it is the same as this...
>
>    set the text of image "Image 1" to imageValue
>
>...just the same as setting the text of a field.
>
>(snip)
>
>Dar Scott

Hi Dar,

when I first tried to make use of the "text" property of images (someone on the list mentioned this property, maybe it was you?) I found that setting the text of an image to an imagevalue - as you describe it above -just produces a white and blank image, in case the imagevalue used was the "text" of the image extracted before:

Putting the text of an image into a global (or elsewhere)

"put the text of image x into imagetext"

and then

"set the text of image x to imagetext"

produces a white and blank image.

Maybe I am missing something very simple here, but all variations I tried with the "text" property failed.-

The solution I showed in my earlier post of this thread (today) does *not* make use of the text property, but converts the imagedata chars to text chars, which can then indeed be used to restore the original image.
And this opens the possiblity to store imagedata as plain text, which is what I guess Paolo intended.

Best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke
<www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>