foreign languages in the script editor

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Aug 30 16:24:19 EDT 2006

On Aug 30, 2006, at 10:35 AM, Lars Brehmer wrote:

> Is there a way to use non Roman characters in the script editor?  I
> have a pop-up menu button that gives two language choices for the
> program interface language - Estonian and Russian.  All buttons and
> a few other things have 2 profiles - Estonian and Russian with the
> labels and text in the appropriate language.  The problem seems to
> be that when I put the  Russian choices into the menuPick script it
> doesn't respond. When I switch profiles with the message box, all
> is well.  Is there a workaround for this?  Another way characterize
> the menu choices that are in Russian in the button pop-up?

Would menu history do what you want?  Maybe you can ignore pWhichItem
and menuHistory.

What gets stuck into the script property does not seem to be what is
typed in in the editor.  The script property seems to get the low
byte of each Unicode character.  An alternate script editor might use
some special syntax (say U"...") to generate UTF-8 or to build UTF-16
with format(), but I don't know of any such editor.

Dar Scott