[partly OT?] Amazon S3, EC2, cyborgs

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Aug 30 15:08:44 EDT 2006

Dar-

Tuesday, August 29, 2006, 4:13:25 PM, you wrote:

> As you mentioned, the sha1 seems to be the stumbling block for S3 in
> Rev, but that can be handled with shell() if S3 is needed in Rev.

Anyone who wants to try debugging my attempt at an SHA1 library is
welcome to it. But I'd really rather see it built into the engine for
speed.

> I have heard there are delays in getting computers started.

Well, it's a beta program if that's what you mean. If you're referring
to booting speed, I don't have any info on that. If you run your EC2
implementation 24/7 your cpu costs will run $72 a month. I assume,
though, that the major use of this will be to configure a cluster of
virtual machines for a given task, boot the cluster until the task is
complete, then shut it down.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net