Applescript question - request cmd

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 14:28:22 EDT 2006

Got error -1708 when sending Apple event

in the dictionary

request "the hilite of button 3" from program "HyperCard"
Use the request command to obtain data from another application via the eval
Apple event.

on testAS
  request "address of active cell" from program "Microsoft Excel"
  request "value of active cell" from program "Microsoft Excel"
  request "get value of active cell" from program "Microsoft Excel"

any of the above run from a script container gives:
>>Got error -1708 when sending Apple event

  --  put "tell application "&q&"Microsoft Excel"&q&return into cmd
  --  put "get address of active cell"&return after cmd
  --  put "get value of active cell"&return after cmd
  --  put "end tell"&return after cmd
  --  do cmd as applescript
  >>correct result
  put it & cr & the result
end testAS

Question 1 - what am I missing to get the 'request' cmd to work

Question 2 - Where can I find the error codes so I know what is wrong?

Thanks,

Jim Ault
Las Vegas