foreign languages in the script editor

Lars Brehmer larsbrehmer at mac.com
Wed Aug 30 12:35:43 EDT 2006

A question for you pros out there.

I couldn't find much on this in the archives, so I have to ask you
all now:

Is there a way to use non Roman characters in the script editor?  I
have a pop-up menu button that gives two language choices for the
program interface language - Estonian and Russian.  All buttons and a
few other things have 2 profiles - Estonian and Russian with the
labels and text in the appropriate language.  The problem seems to be
that when I put the  Russian choices into the menuPick script it
doesn't respond. When I switch profiles with the message box, all is
well.  Is there a workaround for this?  Another way characterize the
menu choices that are in Russian in the button pop-up?

on menuPick pWhichItem
   switch pWhichItem
   case "eesti keeles"
     beep
     exit menuPick
     break
   case "vene keeles"
     revSetCardProfile "rus"
     break
   case "на эстонском языке"  -- could this be called
something like "line 1 of the menu items for profile rus" or
something along those lines?
     revSetCardProfile "Master"
     break
   case " на русском языке"     --  same as above
     beep
     exit menuPick
     break
   end switch
end menuPick

If there is not a known way to do this, anybody have any ideas?  I
need to demonstrate this project at the Estonian Ministry for
Education and Research in a couple of weeks, so if I sound desperate,
I guess I am.  I have tired everything I can think of and I still
hope I have the right idea but am making some little mistake I can't
see myself.

Cheers,

Lars