[partly OT?] Amazon S3, EC2, cyborgs

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Aug 28 18:27:33 EDT 2006

On Aug 28, 2006, at 1:38 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> IIRC the problem with rev and S3 is that the Amazon S3 group has only
> implemented SHA1 authentication and there's no rev support for that.

I'll put a vote on a SHA feature enhancement.  For a little while, at
least; I use shell() for now, so it is not crucial for me.  I
mentioned the hole in the Rev cryptographic capability in my dense &
cryptic talk in RevCon05.

A workaround might be to use Interachy controlled by appleTalk to do S3.

I haven't looked at S3 closely, so I am not familiar with what it
needs.  We have SOAP now, and I suppose one could throw together a
specialized SOAP or REST for S3.

I'd like to have something that kept going even when Seattle falls
into the sound.  Some distribution would be nice.  The Internet went
down in the NW for a bit, according to a report on the AWS forum, and
folks couldn't get their S3 data, even though AWS was up.

On the other hand, the license terms "legal" and "as required by law"
are vague and do not specify the location of the data or governing
body.  I'd hate to have my data stored in a data center in Ugabuga
(or Transylvania) and find my data given to the chief (or Natasha &
Boris).  It is no fun to carefully abide by the law (in addition to
doing right) and then discover it was the wrong law.

The queues look cool, too, and seem to be mature.

Dar Scott