[partly OT?] Amazon S3, EC2, cyborgs

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Aug 28 15:38:30 EDT 2006

Dar-

Saturday, August 26, 2006, 1:59:19 PM, you wrote:

> I don't have an application (yet), but I'm curious if anybody has run
> a standalone or command-line Rev script on an Amazon EC2 virtual
> machine.

> The Amazon [so-called] Web Services just dazzle me.  Storage, queues,
> virtual servers, cyborgs...  All accessible and with upfront simple
> pricing.

Well, the combination of EC2 and S3 is very intriguing. EC2 by itself
doesn't offer persistence (the data is gone after the vm quits) so
you'd need to move any data you wanted to keep to S3 space. But the
pricing is great and it sounds like Amazon is one of the few places
around that's really thinking about what Web 3.0 is gonna look like.

IIRC the problem with rev and S3 is that the Amazon S3 group has only
implemented SHA1 authentication and there's no rev support for that. I
tried at one point to convert a javascript implementation but kept
coming up with different results, so I back-burnered it.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net