revolution player vs. stackrunner & launching documents

rand valentine jrvalent at wisc.edu
Sun Aug 27 12:46:33 EDT 2006

 Hi, dear Revolution cognoscenti, I need your help with some development I'm
doing. I'm an instructor, and have been using Revolution Studio (2.7.2) on a
Mac with the latest OS to develop some language learning materials that I
will distribute to students. The students will be using both windows and
macs. In the past, I've been very successful in using StackRunner to
distribute things, and it's worked better than the Revolution Player in the
past -- meaning that more people were able to run my stacks with StackRunner
than the Rev Player, perhaps because SR is "cleaner," as it says on the Sons
of Thunder webpage. Some people seem to have _ancient_ Windows computers
that choke on nearly everything. But now I've run into a small problem --
StackRunner doesn't seem to be able to implement the "launch document"
command (I assume some library isn't available), and I want to use that to
provide students with access to millions of pdfs. I notice that the Player
_does_ allow use of "launch document." So here's my question:

1. What's the status of the Rev Player -- is it robust, and is it likely the
bulk of your typical student community of Windows users will be able to use
it to play my stacks (the only real demand is that they use lots of sound,
but I've no problem with sounds testing with StackRunner on Windows?

2. Is there some other way to launch documents that _is_ likely implemented
in StackRunner?

 Thanks so much for any comments.

rand valentine