Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 04:02:08 EDT 2006

On 8/27/06, Steven Axtell <saxtell at megavision.com> wrote:
> I am writing a textbook-like application that consists of text and JPEG figures.  The total size of the application is about 500 KB.  When I launch the application, the first card comes up fast.  When I select a button to bring up a second card, there is a fair amount of delay (about 2 seconds on a Windows Pentium III, 1 GHz, 512 MB machine) before the second card comes up.  It's as though the application is loading into memory at that time.  After that, all of the cards come up fast.  What can I do to get the application to load into memory at launch?  Also, what would I need to do to show a card briefly while the application is loading into memory?

The mail application file will load into memory before showing the
first card. If you have a very big app, the way around this is to have
separate stack files for you sub-stacks, so that they load as needed
and not all at once.

Your problem sounds like something is happening when you go to the
second card. Does the first card have a "closeCard" handler? Does the
second card have a "preOpenCard" or "openCard" handler? To test, try
locking messages and then going to the second card. If that is fast,
then you have something happening - perhaps loading an image file. You
may be able to delay it until after the second card is displayed.

Cheers,
Sarah