OT: The passing of Pluto

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Thu Aug 24 18:18:06 EDT 2006

Dar-

Thursday, August 24, 2006, 11:14:53 AM, you wrote:

> Now, that bugged this boy.  I wanted to be excited about astronauts
> and rockets and such, but somehow that turned it into a PR game.

I'm still not used to the renaming of the Giants' ballpark. I wonder
how long it will be before we get "AT&T Pluto" or "Halliburton Ceres".

> I wonder if some mathematicians or word lovers were bugged when IBM
> changed the name of sexadecimal to hexadecimal.  DEC used octal,
> perhaps to avoid an offensive chimeric word with magic spell
> connotations, being based in Massachusetts and all that.

ROTFL. Fortunately the only vestiges of octal left seem to be left
over in things like chmod.

> Sometime late last century I vaguely noticed that there weren't any
> Datsuns around.

...and there's a town in Japan that got renamed Toyota.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net